Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Notes from planning meeting on 7/10/19

Recording of meeting: community_health_july_10_2019.m4a

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Attendees

  • David Boswell
  • Dan Middleton
  • Swetha Repakula
  • Tracy Kuhrt
  • Mandy Olund
  • Dave Huseby
  • Ry Jones
  • Karsten Wade
  • Silona Bonewald

Agenda

Action Items and Notes

  • Dan has put a DCIWG proposal discussion on tomorrow's TSC call – won't necessarily have a vote then but there will be a discussion
  • The group finalized the proposal document after Dave made an edit around the mentor content he added
  • We discussed the interim chair role and decided that Dan will take over temporarily until a vote can be held soon after WG launch

------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 6/26/19

Recording of meeting: community_health_june_26.m4a

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Attendees

  • David Boswell
  • Dan Middleton
  • Karsten Wade
  • Ry Jones
  • Dave Huseby
  • Karen Ottoni
  • Alissa Worley

Agenda

Action Items and Notes

  • The group spent most of the call collaboratively editing the DCIWG proposal doc during the call
  • Dan to send out proposal to stakeholders for feedback in advance of formally proposing this to TSC
  • The question of an interim chair wasn't resolved today, but the group plans to resolve the interim chair decision over email before the next bi-weekly call
  • There was a discussion about if to do something related to the DCIWG at Member Summit.  Alissa to put thoughts together about a possible workshop and Karen will check on what space is available in the agenda
  • The need to do some wiki gardening came up and it makes sense to do this when setting up wiki pages for a DCIWG if the proposal is accepted

------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 6/12/19

Recording of meeting: community_health_june12_2019.m4a

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Attendees

  • Silona Bonewald
  • David Boswell
  • Dave Huseby
  • Ry Jones
  • Dan Middleton
  • Mandy Olund
  • Karen Ottoni
  • Karsten Wade
  • Alissa Worley

Agenda

Action Items and Notes

  • Silona: It may be useful to put the draft note into the format of a WG proposal to provide the information that the TSC will be looking for – Working Group Proposals
  • Alissa shared some of her experience at Accenture doing research on DCI in the blockchain space and this involved both a poll and some opt in qualitative informational interviews
  • The group spent time collaboratively editing the proposal doc to make additions
  • David to start a wiki page using the Propose New Working Group template and copy over content from the Google Doc and the rest of the group can edit that wiki to polish the proposal
  • Dan to put a discussion of this on to the TSC call in two weeks' time

------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 5/29/19

Recording of meeting: community_health_may29_2019.m4a

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Agenda

  • Update on LF's DCI effort and the status of Hyperledger being a pilot project
    • Update on LF's ability to manage the data per earlier discussions on measuring diversity?
  • Discussion about merging our efforts into the CHAOSS project's Diversity and Inclusion in Open Source Working Group – their next meeting is June 3
  • How to move forward – finding a chair? recruiting more people?
  • Other topics?

Action Items

  • David to reach out to Dan about bringing the discussion about next steps with this group back to the TSC.  Now that the next steps for the group are no longer to work with the LF's DCI efforts as a pilot project, we need to reset the focus for this group.  It is also time to circle back with the TSC since this group started after a TSC discussion last year and the intention was to meet as a community to identify what ideas would emerge.
  • Everyone who is interested in investigating the CHAOSS project's Diversity and Inclusion Open Source Working Group as a potential group to collaborate with is invited to attend their next meeting on June 3

Notes from planning meeting on 4/17/19

Recording of meeting: https://wiki.hyperledger.org/download/attachments/6424923/community_health_apr_17.m4a?api=v2

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Agenda

  • Debrief of discussion at last call: Thoughts on discussion of LF's diversity efforts and demo of Indy solution
  • Discussion of action items from the group that we want to align around after recent discussions
    • Getting a gender baseline and then measure impacts from the initiatives?
    • Developing an Indy-based system that would allow us to gather data from community members in a privacy respecting way?
    • Picking one or more efforts to make the community more inclusive and moving forward with that while the baseline is getting established?
    • Other thoughts?

Action items

  • Group: work on survey we want to conduct once we have a back-end privacy storage solution.
  • David: check with LF domain experts on recommended privacy back-end.
  • Karsten: track down possible contacts at GitHub to discuss what we can learn in aggregate about Hyperledger projects from git usage.
  • Group: define key results we're looking to track. Examples:  achieve baseline of overall industry on diversity; beyond the overall industry; compared to open source projects in general (as known); number of specific programs involved in that help fix the upstream problem (lack of diversity of people going into tech.)

Notes

2019-04-17 Meeting notes

------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 4/3/19

Recording of meeting: community_health_apr_03.mp4

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Agenda


  • Discussion of Linux Foundation's diversity, civility and inclusion efforts for the year and how to collaborate
  • Potential demo of Indy as a tool to gather diversity information
  • Potential update on translation efforts (translating Explainer videos, adding translation tools to the wiki)

------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 3/20/19

Recording of meeting: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uEjVcKPqVK9r_06AHw9WZEOqoHCnRM3g/view?usp=sharing (first couple of minutes where we discussed the agenda topics is cut off)

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:

Agenda

  • Discussion of issues related to getting baseline diversity data
    • How to gather it?  Who gathers it?  What privacy issues does this raise?  How to keep the data safe?  Etc.
    • Potentially partnering with LF's Research team on this
  • Discussion of inclusion efforts we can focus on to 'invite more people to the dance'
    • Translations effort
    • Other ideas

Action items

  • David to speak to Jamie about presenting LF's DCI efforts to this group at the next meeting
  • Silona to speak to Jamie and others about doing an Indy demo at the next meeting
  • Mark to look into opportunity to include Hyperledger in some of Red Hat's diversity efforts

------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 2/19/19

Recording of meeting: https://drive.google.com/file/d/129Es-SHsFdGPNv1TN1hjcgJW7VQ9kfEh/view?usp=sharing

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:


Attendees:

  • Mark Wagner

  • Karsten Wade

  • Mandy Olund

  • Ry Jones

  • Silona Bonewald

  • Ashwini Anburajan

  • David Boswell


Agenda


Notes and Actions Items


------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 1/9/19 1/16/19


Recording of meeting:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RI73tkXsEGhsyjxZWL_2YRoGtS1yAbcs

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:


Agenda

  • Introductions (if there are new people on the call)

    • Jamie Smith, new CMO at Linux Foundation introduced herself

  • Identifying concrete next steps for the group


Notes and Action Items

  1. Karen Ottoni presented & discussed through her work plan:

    1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tkcvQ4ULTFfROg87091YWdG-6KXGYWa37egcGR-GY2o/

  2. Jamie Smith introduced the next phase of the LF work on diversity, civility, and inclusion that includes several elements.  She is interested in having the Hyperledger Foundation work via this committee as a pilot for doing similar across the LF.

    1. Elements of next phase include:  how to get underrepresented people into senior roles; how to set best practices for behavior & expectations across groups; new research group to look at how to capture and store data that shows the lay of the land and moving forward in a useful and non-threatening way.

  3. Discussion of how this group’s efforts can become a pilot effort around various best practices to introduce across other LF properties.

    1. Mandy Olund will be bringing research on (how job application criteria affects who applies) + (...) to a mid-Jan meeting [missed the date].

  4. How often to meet?

    1. Bi-weekly to keep energy & keep progress going


------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 11/28/18


Recording of meeting: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HN7rE3JwrEnBdXGSxNLMkJy7cxPozAMy

Time: 10 AM pacific

Dial-in info:


Agenda

  • Introductions (if there are new people on the call)

  • Review of action items from previous meeting

    • Mandy to take responsibility to find baseline diversity metrics/goals to bring to the group

    • David to set up regular meeting invite for the group -- biweekly and same time

    • Everyone to review and edit/comment the relevant working docs linked to in the agenda

    • David to put the docs in suggestion mode

    • Karen to put table together for objectives/goals

  • Identifying concrete next steps for the group

    • Drafting a goal and vision statement for our efforts?

    • Rewriting/Updating the draft Charter?


Notes and Action Items

  • Mandy -- focus on inclusiveness and welcoming will bring diversity.  What’s the mechanism for getting baseline data -- for example surveys.  As an open source group, we don’t have the same structures to gather data as other orgs -- for instance, other orgs get some data, such as gender, through the hiring process.  We should define what the magic door is where we get information from people?

  • Survey information from last year: https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/tsc/message/1860

  • Options to consider:

    • Survey (probably best short-term option, but not something that is viable longer term, for instance survey fatigue will limit results)

    • Automated name guessing (Other LF projects have used this)

    • Community profiles (This would require infrastructure but having a place for people to self-report data about themselves is the best long-term option.  This has worked for other communities. For instance, we have over self-reported gender information for over 90% of meetup attendees who use the meetup.com profiles)

  • Survey seems best for our needs and we’ll need to consider how to address issues with survey fatigue if we send surveys out regularly which is an issue that other communities have flagged that use surveys to gather diversity data through surveys.  And we’ll need to understand how to collect and manage this data in appropriate ways for having personally identifiable information.

  • Goals discussion for this group are being captured in Karen’s goal tracking doc linked above.


------------------------------------

Notes from planning meeting on 11/14/18


Recording of meeting: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A0WdjfODyj79dpgWFM-U6fUB7j5G6R2Z

Note that this cut off the first part of the call where we were mostly troubleshooting a Zoom issue

Agenda


What is our vision for community health?

Dan’s feedback

  • Primary focus: Demographic diversity (gender, race, religion, etc...) and do we match or exceed industry standards

  • Secondary focus: Other factors (region/time zone, language, etc.)


Tracy’s feedback

  • Wants to make sure that community health effort is more than just looking at diversity.  For instance, what do we do when existing projects haven’t had recent commits and aren’t healthy


Karen

  • Agree on focusing on community health vs. diversity


Seems like general interest in a broader health issue with sub-focus areas, such as diversity, cross-project interaction, project inactivity -- maybe there are two large buckets of outreach and onboarding and then internal dynamics

  • Mandy -- it doesn’t have to be one or the other.


Diversity is important, but so is the inclusion.

Next steps

Do we identify some benchmarks and then measure our community to see how we match up?  We can then try a pilot effort, such as the mentoring pilot, and see if that helps us improve our metrics.

Mandy

Do we have a setup for metrics to see if anyone showed up to ask a question and if they received an answer or not?  We need structure.

Before you set up a mentoring program, you need people to volunteer to be mentors and a variety of them since people will want different things in a mentor.

Brain mapping could be a good next step for us to do to capture these ideas and enthusiasm and put structure in place -- we need a vision, mission, strategy.  We need a value proposition.

Dan

Let’s move forward in a bottoms up way and go back to the TSC when we need their resources, input

Mission -- diversity and stickiness/retention need to be in mission statement

Action items

  • Mandy to take responsibility to find baseline diversity metrics/goals to bring to the group

  • David to set up regular meeting invite for the group -- biweekly and same time

  • Everyone to review and edit/comment the relevant working docs linked to in the agenda

  • David to put the docs in suggestion mode

  • Karen to put table together for objectives/goals



  • No labels