You are welcome
Hyperledger, as part of the Linux Foundation, is an open source/open community professional organization. This SIG is technology and blockchain ecosystem agnostic and open to anyone interested in the use of digital technologies to address the global climate challenge. Your active participation is encouraged and always welcome, and attendance is free to all.
Introduction and Scope
A Special Interest Group focused on bringing stakeholders together to look at climate related use cases, such as using Hyperledger frameworks to build a global and open climate accounting system to support stakeholders' efforts to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement (the United Nation's global climate accord) and to support implementation of the recommendations of the Task Force for Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD), among various initiatives. The SIG encompasses the wide array of climate actions, for example GHG management and mitigation, resilience and adaptation to climate impacts, and climate finance, including also for various types of applications (e.g. facilities, supply chains, communities, technologies, etc.).
Mission and Goals
To foster a collaborative network of climate, DLT, and other emerging technology organizations (i.e. universities, NGOs, government, startups, corporations, multilateral development banks, etc.) that can create a center of gravity around the role of DLT and open source software to address challenges in the global climate action, policy and digital accounting space. A focus point of the SIG would be to turn this network into action under a common open source project that defines shared protocols, standards, and platform tools for a globally integrated climate accounting system to be operationalized. This open climate project can act as a shared initiative where participants can contribute value to and share explorations in the use of DLT alongside other emerging technologies such as IoT (Internet of Things), big data, and machine learning to address the challenge of keeping a transparent climate accounting system towards the climate targets set in the 2015 Paris Agreement.
The community will take initiative to specifically address:
- Compilation of completed, ongoing, and proposed future activities related to blockchain for climate action & accounting
- Directory of organizations and initiatives involved with blockchain and the climate space (map of organization location, contact person, description, website, etc.)
- Consolidate the architecture of an integrated system, involving multiple blockchain mechanisms connected through shared protocols, allowing contractual automation in the link between finance and climate value flow based on the agreed physical parameter of the Earth system
- Identify Hyperledger tools and frameworks to develop and maintain a single record-keeping ledger with global consensus (i.e. a ‘ledger of ledger’ where all parties agree)
- Propose and define shared protocols and standards to allow interoperability across the climate accounting system and integrated platforms
- Compilation of best practices, lessons learned, and recommendations to stakeholders (policymakers, technology developers, etc.)
- Supporting events (e.g. at blockchain and climate conferences such as COP) and related activities for collaboration among members and stakeholders
- Propose, discuss and define a longer-term strategic vision of an open innovation consortium that can help steward, fund, and maintain an open source climate action and accounting project and system
The scope of the SIG is defined by the terms climate action and climate accounting.
Climate Action is a broadly encompassing term that involves all climate-relevant actions (e.g. policies, programs, technologies, goods, services…) taken by actors (e.g. states and non-state actors such as businesses, cities, individuals…) — from emission generating activities, to the broad set of actions encompassed within climate mitigation and adaptation and its associated finance mechanisms.
Climate Accounting, on the other hand, is referred to here as the encompassing term that involves all processes of recording climate-relevant information/data — from the physical state of the planet to the list of all climate actors, their broad set of climate actions and agreements in respect to the shared account of the climate challenge.
Whilst climate action occurs in the real world, climate accounting is recorded in the digital world.
This SIG will help build the relationship between both and consolidate technological tools to do so.
Overview and getting involved video
How to Get Involved
New to Hyperledger? You'll need a Linux Foundation ID (LFID) to edit our wiki pages and chat on Hyperledger channels. Here's how to get your LFID.
This is an open group and anyone is welcomed to get involved.
Good steps to take to contribute are:
- Add your name and company in the Member's Directory.
- Subscribe and Join the Climate SIG Mailing List. You may be prompted to create a log in account since it's not connected to your LF ID.
- Join the Climate SIG Chat and start a conversation.
- Add information about your project, code resources or relevant info in the Resource page.
- Edit this wiki & propose additional resources.
All Hyperledger meetings are run covered by the following Antitrust Policy.
|Hyperledger Community Calendar and SIG meeting Invite|
|Online meeting URL||https://zoom.us/my/hyperledger.community|
|Dial in details|
|Phone numbers (USA)|
|Toll-free numbers (USA)|
For meeting agendas, notes and recordings, select specific meeting pages in the navigation.
Proposed Calendar of Events
As newly launched, the Climate Action & Accounting (CA2) SIG is currently drafting its yearly plan of activities and meetings.
|Climate SIG Launch Meeting||Monday, Feb 3, 2020||Initial meeting for the CA2 SIG to plan structure and year roadmap||Proposed-tbc||Co-Chairs|
|Climate Blockchain Webinar||March 2020||Provide a space to share relevant climate-blockchain projects and relevant Hyperledger technologies||Proposed-tbc||tbd|
|Open Climate Collabathon: Earth Day||April 25-26||Global Collaborative Hackathon on the application of DLT to Climate in the context of Earth Day||Confirmed||Yale Openlab|
|Add proposed or confirmed events here|
These are the mechanisms that this working group uses to communicate:
- You can post to the list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe to the list to receive emails
- Archives contain past list messages
Talk to people in the group on Hyperledger's chat server at:
There are also regular community calls that you can dial-in to. See the Meetings information to your left for more details.
Leave the below sections for all space types.
Recent space activity
Carbon Accounting WG Peer Programming Call 2020-09-28 updated about 4 hours ago view change
Standards - WG commented Sep 26, 2020
Standards - WG commented Sep 26, 2020