The proposed integration of Decentralized Identity (DID) with telecom services aims to provide customers with a secure and convenient way to manage their digital identities, while also offering telecom companies an opportunity to become trusted identity brokers. The integration addresses the challenge of maintaining customer engagement by enabling customers to have a single identity that they can use to access services. The integration also presents a significant opportunity for telecom companies to become identity brokers, leveraging their existing customer base and regulatory relationships. As issuers of verified KYC information, telecom companies can support identity verification by offering APIs to third-party service providers. The integration of DID with telecom services has the potential to revolutionize the telecom industry and offers significant benefits to customers and operators alike.
To do this the intern must:
- Set up Hyperledger Indy
- Write Hyperledger Aries agent code to communicate with each other
- Write application Logic
- Write application UI code and connect it with application logic
- Hyperledger Indy - https://www.hyperledger.org/use/hyperledger-indy
- Hyperledger Aries - https://github.com/hyperledger/aries
The Mentee will learn the following:
- Develop a deep understanding of Decentralized Identity (DID) and its potential applications within the telecom industry.
- Analyze the specific challenges faced by telecom companies in maintaining customer engagement and potential solutions for these challenges through DID integration.
- Evaluate the regulatory requirements and compliance standards for DID integration within the telecom industry and develop strategies for ensuring compliance with these requirements.
- Build the technical skills necessary to implement DID integration with telecom services, including understanding API integration, security protocols, and verification processes.
- Develop a comprehensive project plan for implementing DID integration with telecom services, including defining project scope, identifying stakeholders, developing a timeline, and managing project risks and challenges.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders, including Telecom SIG, telecom companies, regulatory bodies, and third-party service providers, to ensure the successful implementation of the project.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of DID integration on customer engagement, fraud prevention, and convenience in managing digital identities, and identify opportunities for further improvements and enhancements.
The intern will join the Hyperledger Telecom SIG meetings, mailing list, and chat room in developing the following:
- A functional DID-based telecom application: The main outcome of the project would be a fully functional application that allows telecom companies to authenticate their customers using decentralized identity (DID) technology. This application will be built using Hyperledger Indy and Aries, two open-source blockchain frameworks specifically designed for building secure and decentralized identity systems.
- Improved user privacy: The application will provide users with more control over their personal information and allow them to manage their identity in a decentralized manner, leading to improved privacy and security. By using Hyperledger Indy and Aries, users can be assured that their identity information is stored in a secure and tamper-proof manner.
- The telecom application will be built using open standards such as DID and Verifiable Credentials, which will ensure that it is interoperable with other identity management systems that use the same standards. This will enable the application to integrate with other DID-based applications and systems, leading to increased interoperability across the ecosystem.
- An ability to monitor and evaluate the impact of DID integration on key metrics, such as customer engagement and fraud prevention, and identify opportunities for further improvements and enhancements.
- The project will involve creating documentation and tutorials that will help developers understand how to use Hyperledger Indy and Aries to build DID-based applications. This will help increase the adoption of decentralized identity technology across telecom industry.
- A valuable experience in implementing cutting-edge technology within a complex industry, and a deeper understanding of the potential for blockchain and decentralized technologies to transform traditional business processes.
Relation to Hyperledger
The project is hosted by Hyperledger Telecom SIG, mainly focuses on Hyperledger Indy and Hypreledger Aries to get the advantage of public permissioned Blockchain while dealing with multiple parties in business applications. The project will also showcase how Hyperledger projects like Indy for identity management and others can be utilized to enable an important Telecom use cases.
- Familiarity with Blockchain(Hyperledger (Indy)
- Familiarity with Telecom Concepts
- Be a proactive and self-learner, comfortable with dynamic/asynchronous e-mails and the exchange of ideas.
Once the TDIDN artifact exists, the Telecom SIG will elaborate and develop its ideas in the solid groundwork of running code. In the future Telecom, SIG will continue development and push the code from Hyperledger Labs to POC with Telecom Providers. Telecom SIG is committed to solving many other real challenges faced by Telcos with Hyperledger. The objective is to make the solution lean, cost-efficient, and agnostic which is developed in collaboration with the Industry thought leaders.
The plan for this project is to set the appropriate platform fundamentals for the standardization of industry operations inside a Hyperledger ecosystem environment.
Mentor(s) Names and Contact Info
Vipin Rathi, Chair Hyperledger Telecom SIG, Asst. Professor University of Delhi,
Discord ID: viprat#0673
I by-mistake withdrew the application in lfx, but unfortunately it is not letting me reapply, can you please help