The Hyperledger mentorship program is aimed at creating a structured hands-on learning opportunity for new developers who may otherwise lack the opportunity to gain exposure to Hyperledger open source development and entry to the technical community. It also provides a more defined path for Hyperledger to connect with the next generation of student developers to inject more talent into its development community. Each mentee will apply and be matched with a mentor or mentors who are active developers in the Hyperledger community. Each mentee will work remotely from his/her location of choice. Regular evaluation and feedback will be provided. Mentees may have the opportunity to travel to a Hyperledger conference/event to meet their peers and mentors face-to-face and to present their work to the broader community.
Benefits for Student Interns
Mentees gain exposure to real-world software development by working closely with active developers in the community.
Mentees get introduced to open source development infrastructure, tooling, and culture.
Mentees have the hands-on opportunity to do work related to their academic and professional interests and to further the pursuit of those interests.
Mentees develop close working relationships with open source professionals and industry business leaders to expand their professional network.
Benefits for Hyperledger Community
- More source code gets written and used for the benefit of all.
The mentorship program helps create a pipeline to a diverse, well-educated pool of developers.
The mentorship program helps spread the word about Hyperledger and its related technologies at academic institutions and increase academia’s interest in the teaching and research of the technologies.
The mentorship program helps Hyperledger gain valuable insight into new developer onboarding processes and how to lower the barriers to entry for new developers.
The mentorship program creates positive press for Hyperledger via testimonials, brand recognition, and peer-to-peer messaging
Mentee Stipend and Travel Funding
Mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. The total stipend amount will be calculated using a tiered structure based on the country where the mentee resides when participating in the program. The stipend will be paid in installments provided that regular interval evaluations show the intern is making satisfactory progress. The final installment will be paid upon successful project completion.
Mentees who successfully complete the program may be invited and financially sponsored by Hyperledger to attend a technical event and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD depending on the event schedule but will be during Q3 or Q4 of the program year or Q1 of the following year).
Note: Travel Funding is suspended until further notice due to the COVID pandemic. But mentees will have the opportunity to present their work to the broader community virtually.
2021 Program Timeline*
January 28: Community members interested in mentoring begin submitting project proposals
March 10: Project proposal submission ends
March 11-25: Proposed mentorship project review
March 25: Accepted mentorship projects announced
March 29 - May 7: Mentee application period (6 weeks)
May 10 - May 21: Mentee application review and applicant interview
May 24 - May 28: Finalize mentee cohort and selected mentees complete HR contracting paperwork
1st week of June: Mentor/mentee onboarding
June 1: All mentees officially begin
- full-time program: June 1 - August 20
- part-time program: June 1 - November 12
* The program dates are subject to change without advanced notice.
Summer FT (Full-Time) Mentee Schedule
Full time program requires the commitment of 40 hours per week for 12 consecutive weeks from a mentee and this option is recommended for those who do not have other significant commitment such as school or work from June to August to dedicate full time to working on the internship project.
- June 1: official start date
- June 18: 1st Quarter Evaluation at the end of week 3
- July 9: Midterm Evaluation at the end of week 6 (midterm stipend will be paid to the mentee if the mentee is in good standing with the mentor following the midterm evaluation)
- July 30: 3rd Quarter Evaluation at the end of week 9
- August 20-31: Final Evaluation upon conclusion of the internship at the end of week 12 (final stipend will be paid to the mentee if the mentor determines that the mentee has successfully completed the internship following the final evaluation)
Summer PT (Part-Time) Mentee Schedule
Part time program requirements the commitment of 20 hours per week for 24 consecutive weeks and this option is recommended for those who are in school or have other significant commitments for the duration of the program.
- June 1: official start date
- July 9: 1st Quarter Evaluation at the end of week 6
- August 20: Midterm Quarter Evaluation at the end of week 12 (midterm stipend will be paid to the mentee if the mentee is in good standing with the mentor following the midterm evaluation)
- October 1: 3rd Quarter Evaluation at the end of week 18
- November 12: Final Evaluation upon conclusion of the internship at the end of week 24 (final stipend stipend will be paid to the mentee if the mentor determines that the mentee has successfully completed the internship following the final evaluation)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org