This HOWTO explains how you would create a new mailing list on the Hyperledger groups.io instance. This HOWTO is necessary for setting up new projects and new working groups.
- Browse to https://lists.hyperledger.org/g/main/subgroups
- Click the "Create Subgroup" button
- Provide the "Subgroup Email Address" of the mailing list. Do not include "hyperledger" here
- Provide a short description in the "Description" edit box that describes what this mailing list is for. Typical examples include:
- Check the "Visibility" settings. Most of our subgroups are set as "Subgroup listed in parent group, messages publicly viewable"
- Unclick the "Receive Updates" checkbox
- Click the "Create Subgroup" button to create the subgroup
- After the subgroup has been created, modify the details under "Admin | Settings"
- In the "Privacy" section, verify the following choices:
- In the "Spam Control" section, verify that none of the boxes have been selected
- In the "Message Policy" section, verify the following settings:
- "Allow Non Subscribers to Post" has been checked
- "Hashtag Permissions" is set to "Posts can be tagged with new hashtags"
- "Reply To" is set to "Group and Sender"
- All other boxes should be unchecked
- "Viruses" is set to "Block"
- In the "Message Formatting", set the "Subject Tag" so that it contains
[Hyperledger <project name> or <group name>] (e.g.,
[Hyperledger Architecture WG])
- In the "Features" section, verify the following settings:
- "Calendar" is set to "Public and subscribers can view, moderators can edit"
- "Chats" is set to "Moderators and Owners"
- "Database" is set to "Subscribers can view, moderators can create tables"
- "Files" is set to "Subscribers can view, moderators can upload"
- "Photos" is set to "Subscribers can view, moderators can upload"
- "Polls" is set to "Only moderators can create"
- "Wiki" is set to "Subscribers can view, moderators can edit"
- Click the "Update group" button
Add CA-Notices as Owner to get Calendaring to Work
We use the email@example.com account on groups.io to enable meeting management by the group moderators while also aggregating all group events into a single "Hyperledger Community Calendar". To do this, you must add firstname.lastname@example.org as the owner of the group, set the correct settings. Here's the steps to follow after creating the new subgroup:
- Navigate to the subgroup and click on "Admin" to expand the admin menu.
- Click on "Direct Add" and add the "email@example.com" account to the group.
- Click on "Members" and search for "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Click on the member record to go to the member settings page.
- Change the "Role" to "Owner"
- Under "Notifications" set the following checkmarks:
- Email when there are messages needing approval.
- Email when there are members needing approval.
- Email when a member joins/leaves this group.
- Email when a group storage limits are reached.
- Email when someone reports a message.
- Set "Owner Email" to "None"
- Set "Email Delivery" to "No Email"
- Set "Posting Privileges" to "Override: not allowed to post"
- Click "Save" to save the changes.
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.