- Any besu contributor may bring forth the need for an off-cycle release
- including justification of why the release is warranted
- via the besu-contributors channel in Discord
- Ideally, consensus is reached
- Scope for the release also needs to be agreed.
- via the besu-release channel in Discord
If the contributor that brought forth the need has the support of one external group (defined as a contributor outside of their own organization, i.e. ConsenSys), the release can continue at an agreed upon time If no consensus is reached after 24 hours, a singular organization or group of contributors may propose a release, and request approval following normal PR review process
- Ideally, consensus is reached. Allow a 48 hour voting period to allow for objections.
- Justification must be given if objecting to the release
- If there are no objections, the release can continue at an agreed upon time.
- Any objection and the justification given must be seriously considered and weighed against the reasons for the release.
- This discussion must happen in the besu-release channel in Discord.
Justification for release (examples)
- critical bug affecting a number of users which requires a patch
- regular release process will not address the issue in time
Justification for objection (examples)
- technology X introduced is bad for Y reasons